While writing my non-review of The Metamorphosis, I decided that it was time to start working up a Literary Bucket List of titles and/or authors I should at least sample before both my eyes and hearing go.
As I start this exercise, I realize that this is just a formalization of something I have been doing for a couple of years now. So, I am including here titles that I have already read but that I chose because I thought that they were titles or authors I should read and not necessarily because they are the kind of book I enjoy reading.
This bucket list is not the same as my 'wish list' where I just keep adding titles that look interesting that I might want to read so I can find them again easily. LBL reads have more to them than just 'look interesting'; LBL reads have some compelling reason for being there --like classics I've never read or the popularity of the author or out of my comfort range.
WHAT'S ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?
- At least one Borges cover to cover in Spanish
- Edmund Morris's Teddy Roosevelt bio series
- Robert A. Caro's entire LBJ bio --I've read a couple of them
- S.E. Hinton -for all the times I suggested her titles I should at least read one of them
- Dave Eggars --
- Infinite Jest
- ☺Tolstoy -- Ana Karenina
- ☺Leonard Elmore -- Devil in a Blue Dress
- ☺Kafka -- The Metamorphosis
- ☺Tuchman -- The Guns of August (tried to read this one when it was first published)
- ☺Saramago -- Cain (because he is a Nobel prize winner)
- ☺Faulkner -- started one but never finished it.
- ☺Moby Dick --
☺= Already read