Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir by One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII - Chester Nez, Judith Schiess Avila, David Colacci

Even if you aren't a history buff, you should take the time to read this book. This book is a memoir not a history. It captures the memories of one of the original 29 Navajo Codetalkers from his earliest memories of his life herding sheep with his family in New Mexico, through service in WWII as one of the developers and first users of the Navajo code in battle and then through his post war life.

Narrator David Colacci did an excellent job, especially when it came to the pronunciation of Navajo words and other place names.

The audio version also includes an interview with Chester Nez. I found it very disappointing. First, the interviewer did not do his homework and asked questions that already been well covered the book I had just finished reading. Second, the audio connection was not clear and Mr. Nez could not be heard clearly on the tape. This was truly disappointing since it was probably one of the last interviews with Mr. Nez, who died in June, 2014. I turned it off  before it was over. The best part of the interview was when Mr. Nez was asked to give an example the Navajo code; he repeated the first message he ever transmitted.