Gospel of Freedom: Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Letter from Birmingham Jail and the Struggle That Changed a Nation - Jonathan Rieder

I've just chosen the first book for my History Book Challenge. It was the Audible Daily Deal on MLK,Jr Day and after reading the reviews, I decided to buy it.

Update/review: Fascinating. I was too young to understand exactly what was going on in the world in the early 60s, much less appreciate the inner workings/politics of the Civil Rights Movement. While Jonathan Rieder's recounting  and analysis of the struggle focuses on MLK's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" and the events surrounding its writing, it goes beyond the news reports and into what was really happening, who the players were and where they stood, what other events these days in Birmingham came from and fed into. I think that by focusing on just this one turning point, that Rieder was able to help readers like me to better understand the whys and wherefores of the Civil Rights Movement, in a clear and concise way.