Day 22 - New Year's Eve (December 31):
Task 1:  Your 2019 Book Goals:  what are they?
I want to read 200 books--which is going to be hard to do if I keep buying 35 hour tomes. In that 200, at least 50 new titles, including at least 5 history books and at least 5 theatrical works (in other words, 5 plays from LA Theatre Works) and a couple of science for poets kind of reads. In other words, pretty much the same goals as last year.

Task 2: 2018 Reading Year in Review.  Tell us about your year in books:  happy? disappointed?
Considering what a lousy start my reading year had, in the end, it didn't turn out too badly. I did notice that I had a lot of DNF's this year. I started both Steppenwolf and Zorba the Greek this year, neither of which I have returned to finish (even though I read Zorba when I was teenager). On the other hand, I did find one more mystery series that I can work my through (Walt Longmire) and  and I did manage to find a couple of books that I thought were very well written and thought provoking (American Dialogue by Joseph Ellis and Paris in the Present Tense by Mark Helprin --both of which appear else where in the 24 tasks for one reason or another). So over all, it has been a good year for reading.

Task 3: New Year’s Book Lottery: Write the names of the first 5 books you’re planning to read in 2019 onto identical pieces of paper, fold them, place them in a bowl (or bucket, jar, box, etc.), and draw one to determine the very first book you’re going to start in the new year.
No lottery need. I like to read new books in alphabetically order because that is how they appear on the iPod "recently added" playlist--saves decision making each time I add new books.  So the winner is:
Task 4: Find a bakery that sells Krapfen (German deep-fried sweet dough dumplings) or make them yourself (recipe here: https://germangirlinamerica.com/rheinische-ol-krapfen-new-year/) and enjoy with a glass of champagne or non-alcoholic bubbly drink – but first, take and post a photo of them!

Book: Read a book about endings, new starts, or any book where things go
B O O M !