Day 3 - Melbourne Cup Day the Nation (November 6):
Task 1: Pick your ponies!  MbD will post the horses scheduled to race as soon as they’re released; everyone picks the three they think will finish (in any order).
I picked Cross Counter, Yucatan and Magic Circle --and earned a point for choosing the winner Cross Counter
Task 2:  Cup day is all about the hats.  Post a picture of your favorite hat, whether it’s one you own or not.
Darned I used to own a bunch of them but stopped wearing them and got rid of them all.  I saw one when we went to the theater on Sunday and couldn't help commenting (to myself) just how impolite it was for this woman to be wearing a hat like that in a theater and hoping that no one was sitting behind her. BUT my favorite hats these days are to be found on the head of my grandson --or more accurately stated, in the process of being pulled off the head of my grandson.  Sorry. No pictures for sharing; you will just have to take my word for it.

Task 3: The coloring of the “horse of a different color” in the movie version of The Wizard of Oz was created by rubbing the horse’s fur with jello. What’s the weirdest use of jello you’ve ever come across?
The mother of one of my daughter's friends used to give the most amazing kids' parties. One year she did a party with all sorts of creepy, crawly hands on spooky activities--like a swimming pool full if spaghetti that she told the kids were Brains. I am pretty sure that my daughter reported that jello was used on one of the activities.

Task 4: Have you ever been to or participated in a competition involving horses (racing, jumping, dressage, whatever)? Tell us about it. Photos welcome, too!
In 1970, in Jaen, Spain (part of Andalucia), I went to my one and only competition involving horses. I can't remember if it dressage or show jumping. If I took pictures that day, I have no idea where the slides might be now. Maybe in that huge box in my parents storage locker.

Book: about horses or a horse on the cover.  Books with roses on the cover or about gardening; anything set in Australia.
Done and done and done again. I'm counting here every single Dick Francis novel that I have read already this year or will complete by the end of the year and in particular, In the Frame, set partially in Australia and involving the running of the Melbourne Cup as part of the back-drop.