Day 2 - Guy Fawkes Night (November 5):

Task 1:  Burn a book in effigy.  Not that anyone of us would do such a thing, but if you HAD to, which book would be the one you’d sacrifice to the flames (gleefully or not)?
Darn but I am having trouble narrowing it down to just one book. I have whole genres and entire oeuvres that I want to consign to the flames--self-serving celebrity memoirs, true crime, the entire output of Barbara Cartland (except for one title that wasn't half bad). The words "no redeeming social value" just keep popping into my head. I thought to get political for a moment but then decided not to be a Debby Downer.  I'm thinking of all the DNFs from this year and still nothing bad enough to consign to the flames. BUT, one title keeps niggling in my brain, a terrible--as in poorly written and even more poorly edited-- terrible business title that can only be lauded for its soporific qualities--and then only because of the narrator. And so it is with great glee I consign to our great conflagration:

P.S., I did finish it but only because I was asleep when it ended.
Task 2:  List your top 3 treasonous crimes against books.  Not ones you’ve committed, but the ones you think are the worst.
Ugly covers
Misleading synopses
Poor writing combined with even worse editing

Task 3:  Share your favorite / most memorable BBQ recollections or recipe, or your favorite recipe for food “flambé” (i.e., doused with alcohol which is then set aflame and allowed to burn off).
We used to go to a restaurant where we could have our entire meal prepared table-side: caesar salad assembled step by step in a garlic rubbed wooden bowl, a fancy steak dish that finished in flames and for dessert Bananas Foster. It was lovely and it was more than 30 years ago. I think the restaurant is still there but I don't know if they still do the table-side thing.
Task 4:  Find 5 uses of the word “gunpowder” in book titles in contexts other than for blowing up things or shooting people (e.g., Gunpowder Green by Laura Childs = tea).
Book:  Set in the UK, political thrillers, involving any monarchy or revolution; books about arson or related to burning.
If we are talking books and arson in the same sentence, aren't we talking Fahrenheit 451
Also, I'm thinking Jeffrey Archer for a thriller maybe, I just can't remember if he has one dealing with a monarch.