I finally sat down with the complete list and marked off the tasks that were in my bailiwick. Here is my next contribution, for Square 4.

Post your favourite turkey-day recipe:

Here are two recipes that have been on our Thanksgiving table for the past 50 years. Mom worked, so she found recipes that she could make ahead and freeze.

Both are cooked in 2-qt casserole dishes (that go from freezer-to oven (after defrosting!) to table).

Mrs. Breit's Rice Casserle

1- large yellow onion—diced

2/3-- stick of butter

1 -- large can of mushroom stems and pieces (drained)

2 cups -- Uncle Ben's converted rice (not instant rice)

3 1/3 – boiling water with 2T Chicken Bouillon granules or 6 cubes (taste test to make sure that it strong enough)

Pre-heat oven 350°. In a large frying pan, saute the diced onion in the butter until golden. Add the rice and stir until it is coated. Add the mushrooms and stir. Scrape rice and mushrooms into the casserole and add the bouillon.

Cover and bake for 1 hour.

Cool before freezing (I like to stir it up before I freeze it because sometimes the mushrooms float up to the top) . To re-heat, defrost completely (1-2 days in the fridge, take out morning of to finish defrosting), add ¼ cup water, cover and bake for 1 hour at 350°.

(Serves 6 people per cup of rice but for Turkey-day, with all the other starches on the table, 2 cups serves 20 people). (To clean the casserole, fill it with water and vinegar and let it stand over night).

Sweet Potato Puff

(Prepared in a food processor)

1 large can plus one small can of Bruce's Yams –drained

1 small can crushed pineapple with the juice (I use the unsweeten packed in its own juice)

dash of salt

orange juice

Marshmallows

Process the yams in a food processor until very, very smooth. Transfer to a big bowl. Add the crushed pineapple and dash or two of salt. Stir well. Add orange juice (start with ¼ cup, you don't want it too liquid-y, just “nice and smooth.”)

Place in the casserole, smooth the top and cover with marshmallows ( if you are using the big ones, allow some space between them and make sure that they are below the rim of the casserole as the marshmallows will puff.)

Cover to freeze. Defrost 1-2 days in the fridge. Take out morning of to finish defrosting. Bake uncovered at for 1 hour at 350° having placed the casserole on something to catch the marshmallow overflow (hard to clean burned sugar out of the oven).