Fuente Ovejuna - Felix Lope de Vega

I have three days to finally read this play before I see it on Sunday. I've known since last summer that I would be seeing it and still have just not picked it up to read. It is a bit intimidating. Written in Spanish, In verse and contemporary to Shakespeare -- and with the same same challenges of vocabulary that we have today, that of the ever shifting meanings of words. At least the edition I own is a didactic version with lots of notes to help the reader.

I'm looking forward to the production. I read the play way back in college but have never seen it on stage. So even though I know the translation will stray fare from the original text, I am looking forward

to the production because Trinity Rep is very bold when it comes to re-interpreting old works.

FOLLOW-UP: I loved it. Writings become classics because each succeeding generation finds something in them that resonates and keeps that book alive and in the conversation for the next generation to hear about and explore for themselves. Fuenteovejuna is a classic and it shows in the ability of the translator/adapter, the director and the cast to find something new and relevant in the text. We don't have to understand the historic circumstances of the events or the time in which it was written to find something to take away from this play because the message is as relevant today as it was when the play was written. Bravo, Trinity Rep!

PS, I never even got past the first scene in reading the play, but I'm working on it!