I've been an Audible member since 2002 and 99% of my reading these days (about 150 reads a year) is audiobooks. Over the years, I've learned to play the system and maximize my subscription.

Audible is for titles that I want to read over and over again (I'm an avid re-reader) or for titles that I cannot get from the public library digital collection. I've learned over the years how to maximize my investment.

1. --Don't buy just to buy, you can't sell these titles second hand. Buy books that you really want to read and maybe even read again and again. Even in the sales, don't buy just to buy.
  2. --Have a well stocked wish list (especially with those titles that are close in price to the cost of a credit so that you will know where to find them at sale time).
  3. --Watch the Daily Deals. Every now and then there is a title that grabs my attention and the price is always $5.95 or under.
  4. --ALWAYS buy with cash when the cost of the book is less than the cost of a credit.
  5. --ALWAYS use credits when the cost is higher than what you paid for the credit; if you can't wait for your new credits to arrive,  buy more credits if you can rather than to plunk down cash for a title that costs more than the cost of a credit.
  6. --Watch for the 2 for 1 and 3 for 2 sales that happen during the year, especially the 2 for 1 because they are a much better deal. These sales are limited to selected titles and sadly I find them more miss than hit--but I always check them out very carefully.
  7. --On the seasonal 50% sales, some of the books that you would have used a credit to buy are now less than the cost of a credit, so check your wish list for titles that have now dropped into "buy with cash" territory.

About buying more credits. I know I can do it but I don't know how it works and I don't know if there is a limit to the number of credits you can purchase in a year or if just anyone can buy more credits.