Speaking American: How Y'all, Youse , and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide - Josh Katz You're Saying It Wrong: A Pronunciation Guide to the 150 Most Commonly Mispronounced Words--and Their Tangled Histories of Misuse - Ross Petras, Kathryn Petras

We are a linguistically blended American Family. DH and I grew up in Philadelphia but raised our children in Boston, thus our children speak a mix of regional dialects. Now add to the mix my son-in-law who is from Connecticut.

I brought these two books out at dinner time (dessert actually) and we had a hoot going through both of them, especially the very graphic Speaking American. It was interesting to listening to my children commenting on the various words that they used and didn't use and even more on the words that we used but that they later discovered when they went off to college that nobody else used.

For me, the most interesting page was the one about telling time. How do you say "3:45"? Do you say "Three forty-five" or "Quarter to four" or "Quarter of four" or "Quarter til four"? I decided that I would say "It's quarter to four" but that I would also say "It's quarter of" if not specifying a given hour.

I still haven't sat down to read it cover to cover but sharing it with my adult children was a lot of fun.